Saturday, May 19, 2012

Temporarily Derailed!

The initial post for this blog should be awesome and related to how awesome I'm doing with the training and sticking to it.

But it's not.

I was doing awesome, sticking to the training, eating better, etc... for a pretty decent amount of time. I'd gotten myself to a consistent 13 minute/mile pace and was considering increasing my distance marginally. However, this plan was derailed by my orthopedist, Dr. R.

About six weeks ago, I started to have very sharp pains in my right leg after running. My usual post-running routine (wrap, ice, elevate) wasn't working to alleviate the pain.  My right ankle was swelling at random intervals. There were days at work that I didn't want to drink anything because I dreaded having to go to the bathroom.  I took two weeks off of running, thinking that it was just shin splints gone wrong.  After the two weeks, I was mostly back to normal (i.e., the pain level was tolerable) and I decided to go for an easy run.

Bad. Idea.

The next day, I could barely walk. I set up an appointment with my PCP who promptly referred me to my new orthopedist, Dr. R.  After x-rays and a very painful exam I was duly informed that I have at least one but potentially three stress fractures.  Two are located on my tibia and there is a third one potentially near my ankle (which would explain the random swelling).

Dr. R informed me that I'm off of running for three months until my leg heals and even then, I will have to gradually build back up to where I was.  In the mean time, I'm taking up swimming as that, and cycling, are really my only two options now.  And I'm on crutches. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment