Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gone Swimming!

I went for my first swim yesterday! It went well, especially considering that I hung up my Speedo in 2007. Since it's been a while since my last swim-based workout, I looked at my notes from those workouts (I really don't know why I keep these things) and decided that maybe I wasn't quite up to 70 laps of the pool.

A quick Internet search provided a solution: 100 Swimming Workouts. One deep breath, reality check ("Amanda, you're not ready to jump back in at an advanced level"), and click later - a workout! I scribbled it onto my hand in Sharpie for reference in the pool.

Another quick Internet search later revealed that to equate one mile running, I'd only have to swim 1/3 of a mile. If swimming wasn't already my choice of recovery cardio, it would have been after learning that tidbit! The first beginning swimming workout was 600 yards, exactly 1/3 of a mile.

I forgot the band portion of my heart rate monitor in the car, so I didn't track my heart rate for the swim. However, it felt like it does when I was doing interval training; therefore, I'm only going to assume good things!

Swimming Workout Day 1: (My comments)
2x50 freestyle warmup
4x25 freestyle - count the strokes (22 strokes/lap)
4x50 freestyle - :30 rest between
4x25 freestyle - count the strokes (22 strokes/lap)
2x50 freestyle cooldown

No comments:

Post a Comment